May 4, 2009

Things may not always go as planned

I recently made my darling husband-to-be (Mr. Pony, if you will) a batch of scrumptious chocolate chip cookies. Delicately crisped edges, gooey chocolate chunks and a whiff of extra vanilla. Sounds gorgeous, right? But... This is what we got.No, they don't look awful but they are flat as pancakes and not even remotely cookie shaped. Of course, all I had to do was close my eyes, open my mouth and allow the chocolate-y goodness to work its magic, but I was still annoyed with the unexpected result.

Of course, this got me thinking. There are many ways in which the life I had envisioned and the life I lead are completely different. At one point I was going to be an exotic animal vet living in Africa working on lions, and at another point, an Olympic equestrienne traveling the globe. Neither of those things happened, and at this point I don't even want them to (of course, who can say if that will change in the future). But despite a profound variance from my original 'plans', life is good.

Being human, there are moments where I wonder 'what happened to all my dreams?', but the simple answer is that the dreams were sweet and perfect for that given time, but times changed, and I changed with them. Sometimes it is hard to let go of a cherished childhood goal, but after searching myself, I found that those dreams no longer apply to me. Mr. Pony would support me in whatever hair-brained scheme I cooked up to become a sword-juggling shark charmer, but following those young dreams is no longer what I want, and... that's ok. It took me a while to realize that just because my goals changed doesn't mean they were wrong in the first place, it just means that life has rolled on and I've become a product of even more experiences. Every time I turn around, there is another chocolate-y sweet moment waiting for me, and even though the texture and shape are a bit divergent from the original recipe for my life, I'm still excited to move forward with what I have.

That said, welcome to my blog. It may be random, ecstatic, doleful or abstract at times, but such is life. Enjoy my ponderings as you will, and if the wanderings of my mind spark some insight for your own life, so much the better.

Things do not change; we change. - Henry David Thoreau

*photo by me*

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails