May 22, 2009

Digital inspiration

In the past few weeks, I've developed an obsession with Etsy. Where else can you find stuffed horse dolls, steampunk lapel pins and feline cravats for sale at any given time? Do I need any of these things? No. Do I wan these things? Unequivocally YES!
Honestly, many of the items I obsess over serve no purpose other than to amaze me with the ingenuity and craftsmanship of many people in this world. Some of the things I've found are almost more pleasing for their absurd amusement quotient than any useful item that I've found. Sometimes you need to just enjoy a clever piece of work, or marvel at the unique twist that another person's mind can put on something. Again, I don't need these items in a physical way, but just having the chance to see the products of the imaginations of others has inspired me to express myself in some inventive manner. It is unlikely that I'll churn out copies of Darwin's 'The Origin of Species' on needle heads or recreate the 'Last Supper' in picture collage, but even a step towards adding a new, creative idea into the cultural wasteland of today's America is a small stride in the right direction.

Maybe I'm the only person out here who is looking for a bit of inspiration, but if not, and you want some free and fun eye candy, hop over to Etsy, support an independent vendor and, just possibly, find an outlet for your own unique product. If nothing else, its a great place to spend a few hours (and your life's savings). Enjoy:)

Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties. - Erich Fromm

*Images from penguinandfish and natorious

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails