October 13, 2009

Domestication?

I don't really cook {Mr. Pony does}. I'm not much of a cleaner {Mr. Pony hates it}. I'm exceedingly clumsy {always good for a laugh}. I often start things without reading all the directions {fantastic way to create chaos}.

But in my on wayward manner, I've decided to pick up at least one 'domestic' ability that may end up in a mass of knotted thread and twisted fabric. You see, I've purchased one of these babies.Why, you ask? Well, it all started with napkins. Someone in this family is a messy eater and that individual {me} shall remain {me} unnamed {me}. To combat the innate messiness of this person, we spend some $$ each year on paper napkins, and we've recently decided that it seems silly to keep using and throwing away countless bits of paper when we could simply wash and reuse fabric napkins. Good for the planet, good for our wallets.

Or so we thought. I found some pretty napkins at Kohl's and started to grab handfuls of them (we wanted 14- 2 for each day of the week). But then I noticed the price. After the ever present Kohl's discount, they were still a whopping $2.50 each. $40 on squares of cloth? Methinks no. But a yard of fabric and some thread for less than $10? Methinks yes!

This led to me wanting to make a table runner, a skirt (to replace one I bought 4 years ago in Barcelona and can not find the equal of in the U.S.), various stuffed creatures and some pillows.

So I perused craigslist and came up with a barely used sewing machine (a Brother LS 2125, if you are interested or know what that means {I certainly don't}). Now I just need to learn how to use the darn thing. Hopefully I'll figure it out and begin showering my home with adorable gifts.

Inpiration {largely provided by Etsy}- Go!

The sewing machine joins what the scissors have cut asunder, plus whatever else comes in its path. ~Mason Cooley

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails